More Digital Marketing Stats You Need to Know

By on

Once again, the time has come to share with our loyal fans and followers a few interesting facts and figures from the world of digital marketing. So sit back, relax and enjoy our latest roundup of key findings from leading research groups worldwide.

Mobile payments continue to rise

First up, data from the Global Web Index has confirmed that the popularity of mobile payment services is still on the up worldwide. Specifically, figures collated from 40 countries suggest that around 33% of Internet users now regularly make mobile payments – a 4% increase from the year before. Asian customers were found to be the most likely to use mobile payment services – 46% having used mobile payments within the last month. 

Promotional emails produce poor results 

At least, if measuring their effectiveness by way of lead rates. According to the results of a study carried out by Return Path, promotional emails typically achieve a read rate of just 19% and a deleted-before-reading rate of 12%. This, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of emails sent by businesses are promotional in nature. By contrast, post-purchase emails – which are considerably rare in nature – perform on an entirely higher level. 

Socially conscious brands score big with shoppers

Consumers are showing growing preference to brands that are known to support good causes and display a sense of social-consciousness in general. While commenting on key issues can be risky for any organisation, evidence would seem to suggest that the potential rewards far outweigh the inevitable risks. Nevertheless, the vast majority of consumers (66%) genuinely believe that the opinions and comments of brands and businesses have no impact at all on their own opinions. 

UK shoppers spent an extra £1bn last Christmas

If last year’s performance is anything to go by, Christmas 2019 could be a bumper sales season for UK businesses. Kantar Worldpanel reports that the average household spend over the Christmas period was up significantly in 2018, with consumers spending a combined £1 billion more than the previous Christmas. Supermarkets in particular saw the heaviest year-on-year gains, in terms of overall consumer spending. 

92% of online shoppers have no intent to purchase

If you’re still wondering why your conversion rate seems to be crawling along with little life in it, you’re certainly not the only one. In fact, research from Episerver suggests that a whopping 92% of people who visit ecommerce websites have no intention whatsoever of making a purchase. Which would suggest that the lion’s share of the conversions you achieve come from the remaining (and rather paltry) 8%. 

Consumers not acting on cybersecurity worries

Last but not least, countless studies have shown that more adults than ever before are concerned about their online safety and security. Nevertheless, a McAfee study has also found that only 37% of adults are making any real efforts to protect their online data and identities, with just 28% indicating their intent to do so at some point in the future. 

Leave a comment